Welcome

Welcome to Snazzys blog where we hope to offer you regular inspiration using all the latest products both in store and the new Snazzys Online version. Plus, previews of upcoming workshops, product previews and reviews, mini tutorials and so much more.

Friday 16 January 2015

A Frugal Journey Through January Day 16

Hello and welcome back!

Today I am recycling a canvas board which didn't go the way I planned first time around, plus scraps of paper, lace, scrim, hessian and ribbon, all leftovers from other projects.

For this technique it doesn't matter the colour or pattern of the leftovers as you won't see any of it once you are finished.

I used white glue to adhere all my torn bits of paper to the board, covering the piece with two thin coats of gesso to knock back the colours.

I then decided to use the board landscape, rather than portrait, and added some frayed scrim, stencilling with a Tim Holtz Layering Stencil plus some extra texture paste around the edges of the board.

I finished off with the scraps of lace, ric rac and another couple of coats of gesso before using the book pages and some JOFY stamps with a bit of ink on them and all around the edges - the hessian scraps I had were too heavy for the piece but came in handy frayed, to give me some 'string' stems for the flowers.

Sometimes when I use this technique I dislike the base colours/patterns so much I add a tint of colour either to the gesso or some matte medium on the second two layers. This piece started out with scraps of purple so after two coats of gesso I added a smidge of Luminarte Primary Elements in Sky Blue to matte medium before highlighting the texture with some Treasure Gold in my favourite White Fire. I then added the seaside images stamped on tissue and applied to the project with matte medium.

This final sample was a workshop where we used this technique over both the canvas board and the frame, again tinted with Luminarte's polished pigments with the feature dragonfly from a Tim Holtz set in both cardstock and clearly for art to add dimension. again a couple of shrink plastic elements to finish off.

That's it for Day 16, I hope I have inspired you to give it a go and would love it if you would leave me a link in the comments below if you make something using this idea.

I'll be back tomorrow with another four different ideas with that beautiful Hero Arts Poppy stamp for all you cardmakers, including a layout idea too xx

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Ooops sorry i haven't left you a link here, me bad :-(

    Loving all the dimension, the colours and the techniques you have used. each project is full of inspiration and so beautiful, my favourite, if i am allowed, is the JOFY project where her flowers on book pages is awesome!

    See you tomorrow :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mo, even I don't expect and instant make and link lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is gorgeous!! I can't believe you're keeping going every day, it's very impressive!

    ReplyDelete